You might think of the finance and human resources department like you would any other business. Our purpose is the support of our employees and our core business objective, in this case, educating students! Madison Consolidated Schools is one of Jefferson County’s largest employers employing approximately 400 individuals, plus approximately 50 substitutes and summer student maintenance workers with expenses totaling nearly $32M in 2015.
Our department is responsible for new-hire onboarding, payroll processes, benefits, insurance claims, vendor payments, payroll tax information, preparing W-2 tax forms and much more. While these are the duties of many businesses, public schools are also heavily regulated and are required to adhere to stringent rules and subject to vast amounts of external reporting. Some examples are listed below:
- Indiana Gateway https://gateway.ifionline.org/ is a site where a consolidation of multiple agency reports is accessible for viewing. Items include:
- annual financial report, budgets, collective bargaining, debt management, public employee’s compensation, property taxes, Extra-Curricular accounting, etc.
- Indiana Department Education-Finance http://www.doe.in.gov/finance
- school financial reports and other employee personnel reports (including duties, education, certifications, etc), and student data
- Indiana State Board of Accounts
- perform financial audits, provide oversight
- Indiana Education Employment Relations Board http://www.in.gov/ieerb/
- report to regularly regarding compliance with laws governing schools and certified employees, compensation and benefits of certified staff
- Department of Local Government and Finance
- responsible for the approval of budgets, must submit financial data to periodically
Public Records Request
In order to be transparent and make documents more readily available to the public, many documents may be obtained online at the various links referenced.
However, should you wish to request records in accordance with Indiana Code 5-14-3, please complete the Public Records Request Form and submit to the administration office. For more information on public records and open door laws, please visit this link.