English Language Learners & Migrant Education
Madison Consolidated Schools values individual and cultural differences. The ELL Department & Migrant Education Department serves as the information center for students from other cultures and their families regarding questions and concerns about school life. MCS currently partners with the Wabash Valley Education Center’s Title III Consortium to ensure that instruction is tailored to each student's English language proficiency level in order to develop academic English skills for success in school. While addressing academic standards, students have regular opportunities to practice listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
MCS and WVEC also coordinate resources on issues of diversity, providing information to MCS staff on fostering a respectful learning environment, implementing curriculum modifications, celebrating individual and cultural differences, and promoting cultural sensitivity in the education community.
Overview of Services WVEC Title III Consortium
WHAT IS THE WVEC TITLE III CONSORTIUM?
The WVEC Title III Consortium is for districts whose Title III funds are less than $10,000 in total. (Funds generated by the number of EL students reported on DOE-LM reports) We pool the funds to provide the WEC Title III Consortium districts access to high-quality PD, software, and materials that they may not have been able to obtain on their own.
PURPOSE OF TITLE III
Title III funds are supplemental grant funds provided through the Federal DOE. The primary objective of Title III is to increase English language proficiency and academic achievement in the core academic subjects and to provide high-quality professional development.
HOW DOES THE WVEC TITLE III CONSORTIUM WORK?
- All of the funds generated by the WVEC Title III Consortium schools are pooled together so that we can maximize funds for every district involved. All districts have access to PD, materials, and software no matter how large or small the district is, or how many EL students they have.
- Funds are used for Professional Development, Networking Meetings, EL Regional Coaches, Software and Instructional Materials (NOTE: We do not provide funding for individual salaries, or travel expenses. NESP can be used for this.)
- Schools that contribute more are provided more spots for PD attendance as well as more funding for instructional and family engagement materials.
- Everyone in the consortium has access to our two EL Regional Coaches.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT THROUGH WVEC TITLE III CONSORTIUM
- Professional Development is the primary focus of the WVEC Title III Consortium.
- Professional Development offered through the consortium focuses on English Language Development and the Four Domains- Reading, Writing, Speaking & Listening, as well as any other best practices for Multilingual Learners.
- On-site and Virtual PD can be customized and provided directly to your district. See Tami Hicks to develop on-site/virtual plans for your district. ()
- Professional Development is offered at WVEC & Virtually throughout the school year. To see our current PD offerings, click here. All Title III workshops are designated with an *asterisk and are FREE to Title III consortium members.
WVEC TITLE III CONSORTIUM GOALS
- To support Consortium schools with PD for new EL ToRs
- To support Consortium schools in meeting LAU Requirements and EL Plans
- Providing SIOP training for all districts and classroom teachers
- Provide WIDA Support & training for all districts
- To provide high-quality foundational and EL-specific PD
- To provide opportunities for educators to work together, share ideas, and learn from one another
SOFTWARE & INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS PROVIDED THROUGH THE WVEC TITLE III CONSORTIUM
- Software purchased for the consortium includes modules from Learning A-Z (RAZ-Kids, Vocabulary and ELL Edition)
- Instructional materials are purchased for districts within the consortium based on their individual needs.
- Funds are used to support family engagement activities and events for districts within the consortium.
- All materials are purchased through WVEC and shipped to the schools. This keeps the school districts out of the financial audits.
ADDITIONAL OPPORTUNITIES PROVIDED THROUGH THE WVEC TITLE III CONSORTIUM
- Two EL Consortium Coaches to provide guidance to schools about specific and individual situations. One IILP coach to support needs and questions with ILPs and the Indiana ILP system.
- Multiple opportunities to interact, network, ask questions, share ideas, and learn from other districts, EL experts in the field, and IDOE.
- A state EL Conference is hosted by WVEC every year. All consortium members may attend this for FREE.
Migrant Work Survey (English/Spanish)
MCS Migrant Enrollment Process and Procedure (English/Spanish)
MCS Migrant Program Eligibility (English/Spanish)
MCS Migrant Enrollment Process (English/Spanish)
MCS Migrant End of Eligibility (English/Spanish)